Friday, March 1, 2013

Making "art" friends. You don't have to be alone.

Hi There,

I am a busy mom. Some of you know already, I'm the proud mother of 3 girls and 3 boys.  In fact, some of the kiddos are home today instead of being at school, it's a conference day. The boys, twins, age 7 and the caboose, another boy, age 5, are playing games downstairs and they are happily making a lot of noise right now as I write. So here's my chance to tell you about something that I have discovered regarding starting out on the adventure of pursuing an art career, and I really believe that this is an important piece in order to succeed in this business and practice....

YOU NEED "art" friends

When I finished school and graduated with a degree in Painting and Drawing from the University of Utah, (quite a few years ago), I had developed great relationships with fellow artists. These were all wonderfully talented people who I admired very much. The plan was to continue on and to join them on "plein air" excursions, setting up studio space together, going to workshops, etc. We were a community of artists with similar goals and we were all ready to begin our careers as painters. Well, for me, it did not happen, I moved out of state. AND, I regretably lost touch with all my art mates. 

I have moved 5 more times since then, and we, my Husband and I, have been blessed with more children and those precious early years, I found myself very contented to take care of my brood, and our home and all the responsibilities that come with raising a family. But, there was always that question, When will I become a painter? 

I actually tried to set up a studio several times. My first attempt was in our garage, where I painted alone, just a little. A few years and 2 moves later, another garage studio. alone, and (not the best set up, it was too hot, too cold, mostly aggravating). A few more years passed and my art career was on hold again. However, when we moved to England, and our youngest now was 3, an opportunity for a lovely studio away from home came up. In addition to the rented space, there were other makers and artists in the building. I began to understand the importance of making bonds with other artists. It brought me back to the feeling I had when I was in school.  I was making friends and spending quality time with wonderful creative people and the ideas began to flow and the budding artist, me, was alive again. We moved.  

So, I have a basement now. I have ample space, even some north light, and just this year, my littlest guy goes to school from 9-3.  I do not have an excuse to not go forward with my plan to paint, paint, paint. It is time to take my life experiences and my talent and use it and share it with the world. I'm ready!!

I have recently discovered a painting community online. It started by surfing the web and landing in some opportune places, I feel like there was some magical guidance somehow. Is that silly? I am confident now that I have found my way to make "art" friends again, and I want to share what I have found with you.  Artists helping artists, is a blog talk radio program, featuring Leslie Saeta, an artist from South Pasadena, CA. She is the most generous sharer of great marketing practices of anyone I have ever come across. I have not formally met her yet, but I know I will one day, she is so warm, I feel like she is already a friend of mine. Check out her paintings, she paints with a palette knife, and teaches workshops as well. I want to take one. You'll be glad you looked her up. Carol Marine, an amazing painter, has inspired me too.  She sells every painting she lists online. She is a daily painter and has made me realize the importance of the "work" the artist must do to improve and fine tune their talent. She and her husband have created Daily paintworks a website where artists can list their daily paintings for auction. She too offers workshops and I plan to take one from her as well if I could only get onto the list before it fills up. I have linked, via these talented women's blogs, to other working and successful artists. I have plans now to join the Art Students League in my local area, Denver,  and to take a workshop in Helper, Utah, from my previous teachers from U of U., and finally to market my almost daily work that I am now doing and sharing here on my blog,  my gallery on Daily paintworks, and my Etsy shop. 

I know it is a bit uncomfortable to walk into the door of the unknown, as an artist, some of us have some quirky insecurities, but DO IT! The importance of the support and fellowship and the sharing of ideas and the critique, it all helps for your progression as an artist. We need each other. I cannot wait to make more art mates. We are not alone, and I'm happy to meet you.

And finally to my new "following my blog friends",  fellow artists, collectors and readers, Thank you for following me.

-Mia





1 comment:

  1. What a great post. I completely agree on your assessment of Leslie and Carol. I was lucky enough to get into one of Carol's classes. It was honestly the best. I'd love to take a workshop with Leslie. Glad we "met." Is your husband in the military? Mine is finishing up his 30 yr career.

    ReplyDelete